The scene of many dramatic battles with the English, this is a fine example of how medieval castles developed
This stone castle was first raised by the de Chaworths in the 12th century, and was much modified later by the earls (eventually dukes) of Lancaster. Kidwelly is a mighty and imposing monument of Norman power as well as a beautiful example of castle development, as the castle was dramatically altered on a number of occasions to conform to the latest thinking in military science.
Roger, bishop of Salisbury, the justiciar of England, established Norman power in the area and the ringwork castle that he built here was one of a series of strongholds designed by the Normans to secure the new conquests of south Wales by commanding the river passes here and at Laugharne, Llansteffan and Loughor.
The castle fell to the Welsh on a number of occasions in the late 12th and early 13th centuries, including once in 1159 when The Lord Rhys took it and burnt it. He is later credited with rebuilding the castle in 1190. By 1201, however, it was back in Norman hands and remained English from then on, despite periodic attacks.
Parking available on site.